- Juan Pierre 1/2- I thought this one was long gone. I sent two cards to Juan during Spring Training, then after not hearing anything back, decided to re-send in June. I received one card signed from the June send-out several weeks later, and assumed my spring training letter had gotten lost in the mail. Again he only signed one card, but this time it was the one I needed for my 09 Topps set. My longest return of this year! Sent 2/17 (193 days)
Monday, August 30, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
- Joe Nathan 2/2- The injured Twins closer signed cards from the 09 Topps and 09 Topps U&H sets in about 4 months. Sent 4/28 (119 days)
- Luke Hochevar 1/1- Luke signed his 09 Topps card in 2 weeks from Kansas City. It seemed like he had a reputation for taking over a year to return cards through the mail, but I took a chance and received it back much quicker than expected. Sent 8/13 (14 days)
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Monday, August 23, 2010
During the day I went for autographs at Fenway, then traveled to Lowell for John Kerry bobblehead night. Here's how I did:
Fenway, outside the stadium:
- Chone Figgins- 09 Bowman
- Casey Kotchman- 06 Topps
- Daniel Bard- Red Sox pocket schedule
- David Aardsma- 10 Topps
- Felix Hernandez- 09 Topps
- Kolbrin Vitek- Spinners program
- Bryce Brentz- Spinners program
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Went for autographs outside Fenway after work today. Most of the players came in on the team bus; one bus arrived around 2:30 while the late bus arrived around 3:45. There were a few players that came separately in cabs.
- Cito Gaston- 09 Topps
- Yunel Escobar- 09 Topps
- Ricky Romero- 2010 Allen & Ginter
Friday, August 20, 2010
Thursday, August 19, 2010
I had three envelopes waiting for me in the mail today. One was an RTS from Mark Loretta, but fortunately the other two envelopes had some autos to add to my collection:
- Luis Durango- The Padres' infield prospect signed three cards, including his official rookie cards from this year's Topps and Allen & Ginter sets. Sent 8/7 (12 days)
- Jonny Gomes- One of the young talents of the upstart Reds, Jonny signed an '09 Topps Updates & Highlights, as well as a Cincinnatti team card from the 2010 Topps set. Although he can't actually be seen on the card, I have a good hunch that he's buried in the pile of players after hitting a walk-off of some sort. Sent 8/9 (1o days)
Monday, August 16, 2010
After a long mail drought, I received cards back from two players today:
- Sean O'Sullivan 2/2- Definitely my fastest return of the year, Sean signed his cards from the 09 Topps Updates & Highlights and 09 Topps Heritage. Sent 8/9 (7 days)
- Humberto Quintero 3/3- The Houston catcher signed cards from the 09 and 10 Topps sets, as well as the 09 Upper Deck. Sent 7/30 (17 days)
Sunday, August 15, 2010
This was my first time using a notebook to get cards signed, and it was also my first time to McCoy Stadium. I couldn't have been less prepared.
The layout of this stadium makes it very difficult to get access to players. Unless you're sitting in the field-level executive suites, you have to either find a player to throw things down to, or place your cards/balls on a string and dangle it in front of the dugouts like a lazy attempt at fishing for autographs.
I didn't have many cards for either teams, but I was excited to see Pedroia rehab. This made it very crowded around the PawSox dugout, so the only luck I had was over on the Bisons side.
Here's how I did:
- Chad Cordero 1/1- Chad signed an 09 Topps Heritage that I threw down to him. He made a spectacular leap up to hand me the sharpie and card back.
- Michael Barrett 6/6- My notebook pays off! I've held onto cards of this guy for at least a decade back when he was a rookie with the Expos. It was nice to get a bunch of cards done that I've kept from the days when I was younger and had more time to dedicate to this hobby.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Monday, August 2, 2010
Sunday was Heidi Watney day at LeLacheur Park, and I've never seen a Single A team draw such a huge crowd. Heidi was on hand to throw out the first pitch and sign autographs, plus the first 1,000 guests received a bobblehead of her. I wasn't really going all out for autos since I don't have much in the way of minor league cards, but I got a few here and there. Here's how I did:
- Heidi Watney- Signed on the base of the bobblehead
- Kolbrin Vitek- The newest #1 draft pick for the Sox signed my souvenir program
- Seth Schwindenhammer- souvenir program
- Jay Broughton- souvenir program
- David Renfroe- souvenir program
- Bryce Brentz- souvenir program
- Nick Robinson- souvenir program
- Jose Iglesias- The top shortstop prospect for the Sox was on rehab assignment in Lowell, and sweet spotted a NY-Penn league ball for me.