Sunday, April 29, 2012
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Monday, April 23, 2012
The only insert cards I pulled were from the "Sliding Stars" set, which is a nice variation on the "Wall Climbers" set from last year.
Of the five mini cards I received, three were normal backs, while Joe DiMaggio and Lonnie Chisenhall featured the Gypsy Queen back parallel.
As I was writing this entry, I stumbled upon Sports Card Radio, which features a visual gallery of all of the SP's from this year's set.
After using the website listed above, I realized I had SP variations of Ian Kinsler and Miguel Cabrera. I also found out that my big pull from the final pack was even better when I discovered it was an SP as well.
FenwayFrank's Fresh Find:
Robinson Cano Framed Mini Magenta Printing Plate SP Variation #1/1
Friday, April 20, 2012
I left work pretty late yesterday, but I had just enough time to stop by the stadium and walk part of the warning track. When I was heading up towards the EMC club to see what marginal player of yesteryear was signing autographs, I noticed Kevin Millar preparing for an interview with a local news network. He showed off his 04 World Series ring and poked fun at Larry Lucchino for a few minutes, then signed for a few minutes, much to the displeasure of his handler that wanted him to leave right after the interview.
- Kevin Millar- 09 Topps U&H
- Brandon Snyder- 11 Allen & Ginter RC
- Elvis Andrus- 09 Topps RC
Monday, April 16, 2012
I got to the stadium around 7:15 this morning and had a very narrow time frame to get autos, since I had to leave by 8 to get to work on time. I managed to get a couple before heading off to work:
- James Shields- '11 Topps Diamond Duos, commented on how cool he thought the card looked
- Stephen Vogt- '11 Bowman Prospects
Saturday, April 14, 2012
After a great start to the season yesterday, I headed back to Fenway this morning to get some more Rays autos before the game. I was able to get 80% of the starting rotation, as well as a few relievers. All in all, a solid Saturday morning.
- James Shields- 09 Topps
- David Price- 11 Gypsy Queen
- Jeremy Hellickson- 11 Topps RC, 12 Topps Gold Futures
- Jeff Niemann- 09 Topps U&H
- Jake McGee- blank Rays card
- Fernando Rodney- 09 Upper Deck
Friday, April 13, 2012
When I left work today, the score was 4-1 with the Red Sox leading in the top of the 8th inning. About 35 minutes later when I arrived at Fenway, the game was still in the 8th, with the Sox racking up 8 runs against the Rays bullpen before the inning was over. Here's what I got:
- Wade Davis- 12 Topps
- Sean Rodriguez- 09 Topps
- Dennis Eckersley- 01 Fleer Beantown's Best
- Jason Varitek- 09 Topps
Varitek was definitely the highlight of the day. While his taxi/limo/SUV was waiting at the traffic light outside the stadium, he rolled down his passenger side window and signed a few before the car drove off. The only time I got Eckersley last year was on Opening Day, so that makes two in a row now. I'll be back at it again tomorrow afternoon as the Rays come in.
Saturday, April 7, 2012
- Josh Reddick 1/1- This year, I sent out quite a few cards to guys that didn't have a good return rate. Josh was one of my "change of scenery, change of heart" experiments, and it paid off. I wasn't able to get his autograph during the past few years with the Red Sox, but I guess the trade to Oakland made him change his outlook now that he'll have the opportunity to play on a regular basis. Sent 3/1 (37 days)
Thursday, April 5, 2012
- Chris Parmelee 2/2- On a team with multiple injuries, Chris fought his way into the Opening Day lineup for the Twins this year. He personalized his 12 Topps rookie card, and also signed a combo card with him and some of his rookie teammates from the 12 Topps Heritage set. Sent 3/20 (16 days)
- J.J. Putz 2/2- The Diamondbacks reliever signed cards from the 08 Topps and 08 Allen & Ginter sets. Sent 2/21 (44 days)
- Dave Bush 3/3- Dave signed cards from the 08 Upper Deck, 08 Topps, and 09 Topps sets from Phillies camp. Sent 2/25 (40 days)
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
- Vance Worley 1/1- The young Phillies starter personalized his 12 Topps card in blue sharpie. Sent 3/2 (31 days)
- Gaby Sanchez 1/1- I already had Gaby sign his 09 Topps rookie card, but for some reason he had one in the Updates & Highlights set as well. It's almost identical to the picture used in the base card, which you can see here. I received the U&H card back signed from Marlins camp exactly one year after I got the base card signed. Sent 3/1 (32 days)