Friday, April 8, 2011

Opening Day 2011: My First IP Successes of the Season!


I had to work today for the Red Sox Opening Day, but I went down to the stadium after work to take in the post-game atmosphere. I managed to get there at the end of the 8th, and I started to walk down Landsdowne, the Dropkick Murphy's "Shipping Up to Boston" started playing, and it gave me goosebumps. After a particularly brutal New England winter, baseball has finally returned to Fenway, and everything in the world feels right again.

After wandering through a sea of fans leaving the game, I hung out by the NESN broadcast booth on Yawkey Way to see if any players would walk by. Recent call-up Alfredo Aceves popped out from the stadium for a minute, so I had him sign a card for my first IP autograph of the year. He has a pretty interesting signature, and an even more interesting signing technique, holding the pen awkwardly with his thumb, middle, and ring fingers. I waited around for the TV broadcast to end a few minutes later, and I got Dennis Eckersley to sign a card as well. It's always a good start to the season when you can get a Hall of Famer on day one.

  • Alfredo Aceves- 2009 Topps (available for trade)
  • Dennis Eckersley- 2010 National Chicle (Bazooka Back)

1 comment:

  1. Is the Aceves card still for trade? If so, what would you trade for? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete