Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pack Break: 2011 Topps Opening Day


I stopped into Target today and saw Topps Opening Day on the shelf, so I decided to pick up 5 packs. I hadn't seen any of the cards or sell sheets online, so I looked on the back of the packs to see the different insert types. Here are the highlights:

  • Barack Obama Presidential First Pitch
  • Cliff Lee Superstar Celebrations
  • Joey Votto Opening Day Stars
  • "Screech" Washington Nationals Mascot Card
  • Daniel Descalso RC Blue Border Parallel #1325/2o11
At $1 per pack for 7 cards, Opening Day serves as a pre-season Updates edition of sorts, with players like Shaun Marcum and Lance Berkman in their new team's uniforms. I didn't pull any "Spot the Error" or glow-in-the-dark "Stadium Lights" inserts, but I was still pleased with the inserts I did receive.

I really like the mascot cards as a fun alternative set to get signed. The Opening Day Stars inserts carry over the Topps 20/20 3-D cards from last year's set. I like the blue parallel set better than the standard gold parallel. The color is more interesting, and the serial number is stamped in gold foil on the back rather than the laser jet Topps has adopted over the past few years. It's the little things that count, Topps.

1 comment:

  1. Saw your comment on the 08 Topps Auto blog about needing help to ID an O's autograph you got last year. I think I should be able to help you out if you're interested. Please email me salsmanado at gmail.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete