Friday, July 22, 2011

Pack Break: 2011 Topps Allen & Ginter


This is always the product I look forward to during the summer time. There aren't too many other baseball products that come out this time, so I can focus my money on this one while it's still fresh and interesting and I've tired of the Topps jumbo packs. I picked up 5 packs at $4 each today from Kenmore Collectibles. Each hobby pack has 8 cards as the standard has been over the past few years. I thought they were a few dollars more last year, but I'm sure the market demand will dictate price changes in the upcoming weeks.

I've never been a huge fan of the non-sports inserts from this brand, but I didn't get stuck with too many this time around. The only non-baseball base cards are pulled were of Peter Gammons and Stan Lee, both pretty cool old guys in their own right. The Ascent of Man inserts actually look pretty nice because they take up the entire face of the card with vibrant, full-color pictures.

I'm pretty happy they brought back the hometown cards with the Hometown Heroes insert set. Last year's set opted for a "This Date in History" set that didn't seem as interesting. I'm trying to get the Mark Teixeira card from this set since my girlfriend's from Severna Park, MD and I lived there for a while as well, so somebody let me know if they have it for trade.

Here are the highlights:

  • Rookie Cards: Ozzie Martinez, Eric Sogard, Brian Bogusevic, Brandon Snyder
  • Regular Mini Cards: Jim Thome, Alcides Escobar
  • Hawaiian Monk Seal- Animals in Peril mini
  • "Fire Breathing" Step Right Up Mini (Looks more like Fire Barfing)
  • Jason Kubel- No Number Mini (Only 50 of each card last year)
  • Hometown Heroes: Uggla, Pavano, Sabathia, Oswalt
  • Florence Nightingale- Minds That Made the Future
  • Ascent of Man: Ostracoderms, Catarrhini
  • Neftali Feliz- Game-used jersey card
  • David Ortiz- Game-used jersey card

No comments:

Post a Comment